[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
Official Forum for 90fm Trivia • View topic - No STV broadcast, unless we speak up!

No STV broadcast, unless we speak up!

Moderator: theoz

No STV broadcast, unless we speak up!

Postby The Jerk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 pm

Please read the following e-mail I received regarding the situation STV and 90fm are in. We need to contact STV and explain to them how important a live broadcast is to the contest and the community or there will be no Trivia on STV this year.

"I am Jeffrey Swanson the current General Manager of Student Television, I was forwarded a question about STV and Trivia for this year. It is not certain if STV will cover Trivia this year or not, as of right now 90fm and STV have been unable to come to agreements on a contract. Hopefully we will be able to find an agreement that will work for both stations, but there is not promise of this.
I have done Trivia for the past 2 years, and I love it. I think it adds a lot to the game for the players, so I hope something will be agreed between myself and 90.

If you have any comments on this,
along the lines, of what the game being on TV adds to it, or why you would like it on TV you can email those to me at Jeffrey.T.Swanson@uwsp.edu and you can pass that offer around. I would love to hear what you the players think about it being on STV as well as 90. I know 90 is interested to hear this too, so any imput from yourself or other players would be great."

Thank you,

Jeffrey Swanson

General Manager Student Television (STV) 2006-2007

Third Floor CA Neale Hall
336 Neale Hall Stevens Point , WI 54481
(262) 498-7849

Day At The Altar Productions (D.A.T.A)
Owner
"Do or Do not, There is no try" - Yoda (Frank OZ)
The Jerk

Postby DokterZ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:12 pm

Hasn't this been an ongoing problem? Are budgets the reason, or what? It would seem to behoove these two groups to work together for what is by far their largest audience of the year.
DokterZ

Postby jswanson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 am

Hello all Trivia Players,

This is Jeffrey Swanson the GM of STV, I just wanted to make something clear about the above posting of my email. I am looking for feedback from you all of what you think of STV's coverage of Trivia, does it expand the game, what do you like, what don't you like, what would you like to see changed. I want to hear from Trivia players as you are who we would broadcast for.
As the email to Jason stated. As of right now STV and 90 have not made an agreement to cover Trivia, but also like i said I hope that we can find that agreement. I hope you understand that I will not go into details about these agreements as it involved 90 and STV and we are working on it. So as much as I thank you for your input on ideas and what you like / dislike, I hope you understand that I am just looking for that feed back. That is all. not comments on the agreement.

Thank you all,

Jeffrey Swanson
Student Television General Manager
jswanson

Postby jswanson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:44 am

One more thing, I think this thread name is not true, getting feedback is not going to be the breaking point if STV broadcasts the game or not. So again thank you for the feedback, but I am just trying to keep things that I am saying in context and not taken the wrong ways.

thanks again
jswanson

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 am

Here we go again.

We went through this 2 years ago when the two parties couldn't come to "an agreement" about trivia. Aren't both 90 FM and STV entities of UWSP??????

Why is there even a discussion about this??? The Trivia Contest is a big event in Stevens Point and I don't see why there should be an "us against them" mentality when it comes to coverage for the Trivia Contest.

Granted, I am looking at this from a viewpoint that is outside of the university system, but if both sides are interested in promoting events that will help the University, there shouldn't be any of these situations in the first place.

Please give us a reason (any reason) why STV shouldn't provide coverage of the Trivia Contest.
Crazy Ivan

Postby TheCollective » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:55 am

Let me start by just saying that I _love_ it when STV covers Trivia. I think it does add a lot to the enjoyment of the event. That said...

I'm glad Jeffrey is posting here, maybe he can provide some insight into why STV wouldn't cover the event for free/less. STV is mostly volunteer (except I believe for the management team) and I believe it exists to give students experience with broadcasting. I believe the reason for the "hangup" between STV and 90FM is primarily over fees. STV would like xxx amount of dollars to provide coverage. 90FM and STV don't agree on that amount.

In the end though, all the equipment is already purchased, and the camera crews are on a volunteer basis and have access to free food, etc. I realize that the managment staff of STV is trying to run it like a real station and "make money", but when it comes down to it, isn't the operational experience gained by everyone at STV from covering a 24x7 54 hour news event more important than the budgeting experience or a few?

Much of the above is based on many assumptions that may or may not be true. There may be very solid reasons for STV wanting money to cover this event. For the record, back in the day probably 10 years ago, I worked at STV and did some TV shows (Urban Rythms) and also was part of the TV crews filming teams, etc. I didn't get paid, so that's why I'm assuming that for the most part labor is still mostly on a volunteer basis.

What are the costs that STV is trying to recoop? Heat & electricity is provided already I'm sure to STV because of its presence in the building. Labor is free (except for the management team). Equipment is already owned. What else is there?

This is what I'm hoping to understand better. Why does STV need so much to cover this event and exactly how much is being asked?

I hope this posting isn't interpretted as flaming. I truly do want to understand the reasons why STV is asking for more money.

One final thought... Would 90FM ever consider putting a $2-3 fee on the registration cost for teams to pay for STV expenses? I can't imagine too many teams would balk at that minor addition and then 90FM wouldn't have to divert any of its funds outside of its own fund-raising pool.

Jason B
The Collective
TheCollective

Postby sixthwi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 am

I'm also confused as to why two UWSP entities need to come up with "an agreement" for the station to cover trivia. That being said, I don't think our team would miss it if the contest wasn't on tv. We turn the station on but I don't think anyone on the team really pays much attention to it.
Anyone who judges by the group is a peawit - Buster Kilrain
sixthwi

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:53 am

Excellent Post, Jason

All of your points are quite valid. I hope that Jeffrey or someone else connected with STV can give us more information. I think that STV puts off a lot people by not covering the contest and saying that they "cant come to an agreement". Other trivia players that I have talked to also have the opinion of "we don't really need or want STV if they are going to hold out for more money".

I also want to add that I DO love it when STV provides coverage of Trivia. If nothing else, the final reading of all the teams on Sunday night is worthy of staying awake WAY TOO LATE just to watch Oz and Eck read the standings.

Please understand, I want STV to cover Trivia and hope they do come to an agreement.
Crazy Ivan

Postby Dads_Adam » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am

Im just curious to why do they negotiate agreements and deals year to year? Couldn't 90fm and STV work out a multi-year agreement so this isn't a yearly problem?

I enjoy seeing STV showing the contest, and I think its a great part of the contest... Watching the DJ's read the questions, the crazy students, and of course the Awards Ceremony; all great things that I, and I'm sure others enjoy watching inbetween questions.

When I think of all the things that make Trivia, Trivia.. watching it on STV is on that list.
Dads_Adam

STV should justify what they're asking for

Postby Burnout » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 pm

STV coverage adds a little to the experience, but not like it used to.
I remember the days of Tom Rappala, Kirk Strong, etc. They used to go 'all out' and do themed focuses rather than plain 'interview' type stuff.
It seems almost all of that old footage was tossed out by a STV staffer several years ago.
Recently, our STV experience has stooped to lame voting contests and video of staffers hanging out, with an occasional new focus. I get the impression that no one over there wants to use the opportunity to better thier creative and technical skills.
Rather than having one of you hold the camera and broadcast the rest of the staff throwing pencils or hanging out in the studio eating, perhaps you could use that time covering trivia, doing focuses, and creating something more interesting for your audience.
That said, how long would you last in the real world if you demanded payment from the event you're covering if you put that same amount of enthusiasm into it. I'm sure all trivia players can provide a list of short run television shows, where there was nothing interesting to keep it on the air, and no one would pay for it.
Also, STV has the opportunity to 'sell ads', for lack of the actual term, it seems they'd prefer to let others do that work.
You should be using your time to learn, develop and experiment with the skills needed to cover a huge, live, event like Trivia. Have fun with it, you'll rarely get the opportunity to do that in the post academic world.
Since the management staff is already paid, the air time is covered, the utilities are provided, and most of the workers are volunteers, how are you justifying the need for a couple grand?
Details would be great...
I'll finish by saying that I know it's a lot of work, I know enthusiasm wanes after 54+ hours (don't we all), and I know it's tough to coordinate everything that's needed.
Yes, STV could add something to the Trivia experience, but it's not worth paying for at this point. If the viewers would actually get something entertaining, informative, or useful, then sure. I'd be happy to toss in a few bucks for the cause. Until then, I can live without it and let 90FM keep what they've worked hard for.
Burnout

Postby Hugh_B » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:50 pm

I have to say that I'm in Burnout's corner on this one. Being a long-time player, back to the Hamilton days, I remember when there was NO television coverage of the Contest. We didn't have any less fun back then. Granted, STV adds another dimension to the contest, but the major draws for televising have been eliminated or minimalized by the IntarWeb. In the early days of STV, we'd watch mostly to see the standings run (every 4 hours or so). We can do that online now*. As Burnout says, if they're going to request some sort of fee for broadcasting, let them give the public a product reflecting the value of that fee.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not advocating dismissing them entirely, I just want the folks at STV to understand that Trivia is a radio fundraiser for the radio station. You'd think the fact that Trivia survived even without them in '05 would be a wake-up call to STV that they're not crucial. Although I'm no official voice of the Contest, I still welcome them to piggyback and use the popularity of Trivia to raise their own funding through their own sponsorships.

*For those who enjoyed the standings just to read the funny/goofy names, the IntarWeb actually works better. The standings stay online the whole time, and you can go back and look again. On television, if you missed them, you missed them
Last edited by Hugh_B on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trivia: it's not a job, it's just an adventure
Hugh_B

Postby jswanson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:58 pm

As I stated above I will not go into details of the STV 90 FM talks, this is a business agreement that has not yet been made, I am looking for feedback on past productions to see what you liked and what you did not like. I understand you wanting more information, but I'm sorry to say that I can not give that info out, it is a STV and 90FM deal that only involves STV and 90fm.

So I am sorry if you all are wanting to get the details of the meetings I have had with 90 but that will not be posted here or any where else, I hope to get feedback from you, that is all, as that is what I can use to improve the production if we air it this year.

Thank you,

Jeff
jswanson

Postby Hugh_B » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Jeff,
I do hope you get the feedback that you're seeking. However, since this is a fairly open forum, on these pages you can expect to get everything from praise to punishment. Keep that in mind if you're looking here for opinions. As for me and my opinions, I don't care what the terms of the negotiations are, I'm just surprised that there has to be negotiations in the first place.
Trivia: it's not a job, it's just an adventure
Hugh_B

Postby Higgs » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:38 pm

I have to say that all i've really watched of STV over the past years was when our Trivia Focus was on last year. With that I was a bit disappointed with they way it was edited. I was also disappointed with how the whole DVD thing was handled. I'm certain that our team would have purchased some copies if the sales had been a bit more accommodating.

What I'm saying is STV is all fine and dandy but I doubt I'd even notice it's absence. Not trying to be rude. They do a decent job and it's great experience for the students at the station. That's just my honest outtake.
Higgs

Postby jswanson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:03 am

I do understand the giving of bad and good comments. I am not just looking for good things, If we don't get what you did not like we can not fix it. I just want making it clear I cant give out that info some people where asking for. And this does not mean I will not answer other questions.

As for the DVD sales last year, that could have been handled better you are correct. So I will explain that, about half way through the game, we had the idea to sell the DVD's. This idea had to be run by OZ, who allowed us to sell them, at that point we started producing the promos for them, and figuering out how to sell them. We had no idea how popular they would be, or if people would want them at all, it was a "test" year on them. It was something we needed to see if would catch on or not, from what I could tell they where enjoied. So it is something we will look into again.
So the fact that we came up with the idea half way through the game is one reason for the lack of information on how to get a DVD. It was a learning experance and now we have a better idea of what we need to do to sell them.
jswanson

Next

Return to General Banter