[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
Official Forum for 90fm Trivia • View topic - A suggestion for the DJ booth

A suggestion for the DJ booth

Moderator: theoz

A suggestion for the DJ booth

Postby wardenclyffe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Hello,

This is my first post. I've been playing in the contest for decades. I'd like to suggest something designed to make the contest run a little more smoothly.

Why not give the DJ's an "engineer" to help them in the booth? If the DJ had someone to help them cue up the next song or the next promo, they would have a little more time to look over the questions before they read them.

Back in the day, I did some time behind the mic at WWSP (not during the contest---I wasn't going to give up playing in order to DJ). I know that even without the pressure of having to read questions, it could get hectic. Even without the pressure of the largest audience of your life, or the fact that every listener is hanging on your every word, or the feeling that if you mess up you will become a laughing stock, or the fact that these oldies are usually pretty short songs that leave little prep time, even without all those pressures, it can be complex.

I know that in the "real world" that DJs are ususally on their own and they just have to deal with it. But I also know that bigtime DJs or radio hosts always have help in the booth with them. TRIVIA is as bigtime as WWSP gets. The DJs will appear more professional if they have those few extra seconds to look at the copy before they read it. They could even ask their engineer how to pronouce words if necessary (before they go on the air). I know that the WWSP staff is probably at their limit, but an extra pair of hands in the booth would make both the DJs and the contest seem a little more professional (maybe that's not a goal). It would also prevent some questions from being thrown out or having to be repeated.

I can't imagine that this has never been discussed by the staff and maybe there just are not enough people. I just know that it's easy for all of us know-it-alls in town to be critical of the DJs. I don't think it's necessarily fair, and I think that something could be done to help.

Thanks,
Ward

P.S. Obviously, the seasoned pros who DJ the contest don't need help, but obviously some of the newbies do---and maybe the pros wouldn't complain if they had a little extra help either.
wardenclyffe

Postby Caker 23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:24 pm

I think the DJs are allowed to have someone in there helping them if they want it. There are plenty of DJ for whom having extra people in there pulling music and giving them feedback will just distract them or up their tension levels. years ago when I was a DJ in the contest, I needed the studio as clear as possible so I could concentrate on the daunting task at hand.

The best resource a DJ has is the guys down the hall who actually wrote the questions. The DJs get all eight questions for an hour at once and my recommendation is hunting down Oz and Eck to check out any words or names (especially names!) that they are not 100% certain of.

Of course, the authors of the contest once punished me with the word "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic" so I had a little more motivation to seek their help...
"If you know your material sober, you should know your material drunk."
--Vic, #3
Caker 23

Postby CapnSylvester » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:17 pm

CapnSylvester

Postby The Jerk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm

The Jerk

Postby kaiserwilhelm3 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm

kaiserwilhelm3

Postby jdAppleton » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 pm

jdAppleton

Postby wardenclyffe » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:39 am

wardenclyffe

Postby TriviaHiro » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

Glen: Geoff I'm not going to tell you how much you look like Alan Alda from this angle.

Me: The Donald Sutherland version of Alan Alda!
TriviaHiro

Postby Caker 23 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:30 am

--Vic, #3
Caker 23

Postby theoz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:49 pm

theoz
The Great and Powerful

Postby sam81663 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:16 pm

sam81663

Postby Caker 23 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:13 pm

I suspect the words seem a little faster on Sunday night because the DJs often are in a race of sorts, trying to play catch-up as the contest is (understandably) behind schedule and they're making every effort to wrap up by midnight. They're not doing it to make our lives more difficult out there on the other side of the speakers.

While we can all pick out those disastrous "alice" moments, I think it's important to point out that the 90FM DJs as a whole do an incredible job, and anyone who has listened to Lawrence's contest or even the pretty strong St. Cloud contest should be able to testify to that. The DJs are well-trained, well-prepared and dedicated to doing the best job they can. Stumbling over words or having difficulties with pronunciations doesn't mean those DJs haven't pre-read questions or have been frivolous with their time in the studio. What they're doing is significantly harder than many of the people on this board probably realize.
--Vic, #3
Caker 23

Got's to agree with Caker #23

Postby pikeprof » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:21 pm

pikeprof

Return to General Banter